Unsecured creditors can sue you if you don’t spend your bills.

To learn more in what to complete in the event that you don’t Pay tipsheet and seek legal advice if you are sued, see the What Creditors Can Do.

Seizing home

Creditors can take action to seize your home by way of a civil enforcement agency without the necessity for a judgment if:

  • you have got bought products via a time product product sales contract and you’re behind or haven’t made any re payments
  • the creditor is guaranteed with a chattel home loan along with re re payment arrears
  • your debt is lease owed to a landlord

Stopping a seizure of home

Speak to your creditor instantly. That you owe, the creditor may leave the seized property with you if you can start paying some of the money.


Garnishment is really an appropriate procedure that a creditor may take following the court honors a judgement against you. The creditor asks the court to simply take the cash (garnishee) your debt from wide range of sources like

  • your earnings cheque
  • your bank account at an institution that is financial as being a bank, treasury branch, trust business or credit union
  • records receivable (money due to you by other people)

Banking account garnishment

A creditor who garnishees your money is permitted to make the whole amount of money that your debt.

Objection to a garnishment

To prevent the garnishment procedure or even to make modifications to your garnishment by the creditor, you need to get yourself a court purchase. You shall probably require legal counsel to take action.

In case a creditor sues you

The option is had by a creditor of suing you into the Civil Division of Provincial Court (previously called tiny claims court) or perhaps the Court of Queen’s Bench.

You will be served with a civil claim if you are sued. Don’t disregard the claim.

If you should be offered having a civil claim:

  • confer with your creditor
  • spend the claim
  • file a dispute note

You have 20 calendar days from the time you are served to file the dispute note if you receive a civil claim in Alberta. (more…)

Chi tiết